May 17th – Shenstone Pumping Station, one of the earlier examples of the great South Staffordshire Waterworks tradition, is a dark red, victorian edifice, originally designed for a steam pump. Brought into use in 1892, it pumps water to this day from a 131 feet deep, 12 foot diameter well, with a 597 foot heading. The steam pump was retired in 1957, and now a 60 horsepower submersible well pump tops up a 10,000 gallon tank under the pumphouse.
After treatment there, water is pumped by 200 horsepower pumps up to Barr Beacon reservoir for distribution. These pumps can supply 1,500,000 gallons per day, and are backed up by emergency generators.
Shame about the hideous air intake grafted into the front doors.